Selected Historical Financial Data
SELECTED HISTORICAL FINANCIAL DATA – UNAUDITED
The following table presents a summary of selected historical financial data for the Company derived from our financial statements as of and for our last ten fiscal years.
Since the information in this table is only a summary and does not provide all of the information contained in our financial statements, including the related notes, you should read “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and our Financial Statements in our Annual Report for each respective year for more detailed information including, among other items, restructuring costs and other charges incurred in 2008 and 2009, timeshare strategy - impairment charges incurred in 2009 and 2011, and the spin-off of the timeshare operations and timeshare development business in 2011. For periods prior to the spin-off date, the former Timeshare segment continues to be included in Marriott’s historical financial results as a component of continuing operations because of Marriott’s significant continuing involvement in MVW future operations.
(1) All fiscal years included 52 weeks, except for 2008 and 2002, which each included 53 weeks.
(2) Balances do not reflect the impact of discontinued operations.
(3) We adopted certain provisions of Accounting Standards Certification Topic 978 (previously Statement of Position 04-2, “Accounting for Real Estate Time Sharing Transactions”), in our 2006 first quarter, which we reported in our Income Statements as a cumulative effect of change in accounting principle.
(4) In 2002, we announced our intent to sell, and subsequently did sell, our Senior Living Services business and exited our Distribution Services business. In 2007, we exited our synthetic fuel business. These businesses are now reflected as discontinued operations.
(5) Includes the continental United States and Canada, except for 2011 which represents the United States and Canada.
(6) Represents fee revenue outside the continental United States and Canada, except for 2011 which represents fee revenue outside the United States and Canada.
(7) For periods prior to the stock dividends issued in the third and fourth quarters of 2009, all per share data have been retroactively adjusted to reflect the stock dividends. Additionally, for periods prior to 2006, all per share data have been retroactively adjusted to reflect the June 9, 2006, stock split effected in the form of a stock dividend.