Building on more than 20 years of energy and water conservation, Marriott International is committed to protecting the environment we call it our Spirit To Preserve.® Creating more sustainable hotel operations is a business priority, not only a social responsibility strategy.
Our environmental vision is to be the global hospitality leader that demonstrates how responsible management can be a positive force for the environment and create economic opportunities around the world, and by example, inspire personal action.
Our environmental strategy calls for:
- Further reducing fuel and energy consumption by 25 percent per available room;
- Greening our $10 billion supply chain;
- Expanding our green hotel development ten-fold in five years;
- Educating and inspiring associates and guests to support the environment;
- Preserving the rainforest through a $2 million commitment to protect the 1.4 million acre Juma Reserve in Brazil. Guests can contribute too, when they reserve a room on Marriott.com.
We have shared our perspectives on the importance of rainforest preservation projects, first as a signatory of the Tropical Forest Climate Unity Agreement submitted to the U.S. Congress by Avoided Deforestation Partners, and then as a participant in the United Nations Climate Conference in Copenhagen.
To learn more, visit Marriott.com/SaveTheRainforest and Marriott.com/Environment. Visit Marriott.com/SocialResponsibility for a complete report on our social responsibility portfolio: poverty alleviation, the environment, community workforce development, the well-being of children, and global diversity and inclusion. >