QUARTERLY FINANCIAL DATA UNAUDITED
(1) The quarters consisted of 12 weeks, except for the fourth quarters of 2009 and 2008, which consisted of 16 weeks and 17 weeks, respectively.
(2) The sum of the earnings per share for the four quarters differs from annual earnings per share due to the required method of computing the weighted average shares in interim periods.
(3) Balances do not reflect the impact of the synthetic fuel business as the impact of that business is now reflected in discontinued operations.
(4) For periods prior to the stock dividends that were declared during 2009, all per share data in this Annual Report has been retroactively adjusted to reflect the stock dividends. See the "Basis of Presentation" caption in Footnote No. 1, "Summary of Significant Accounting Policies" for additional information regarding the stock dividends as the per share amounts in the 2008 "First Quarter," "Second Quarter," and "Fiscal Year" columns reflect revisions to previously reported amounts.
(5) As discussed in Footnote No. 1, "Summary of Significant Accounting Policies" we have reclassified the provision for loan losses for all periods presented to the "General, administrative, and other" expense caption within "Operating (loss) income" from its own caption below "Operating (loss) income" in our Consolidated Statements of Income.
(6) See Footnote No. 7, "Earnings Per Share" for income from continuing operations attributable to Marriott used to calculate earnings from continuing operations per share attributable to Marriott shareholders.